cdrw and dvd rw used as a floppy

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Sun Aug 29 03:14:33 CDT 2004

Chris Bier wrote:

> UDF is what you want.  afaik the only cd/cdrw/dvd supported formats
> are UDF and iso9660.  Most DVDs use UDF.

Yes, UDF is probably what you want to use for any RW disc based media.
Though, that's not exclusive. I have and use a DVD-RAM drive for
long-term archiving and I use ext3 on it. As for other RW media, AFAIK,
you can use other file systems on them. However, other file systems are
not optimized for use with discs like UDF is. On the other hand, the
DVD-RAM standard mandates that the drives manage bad sectors in the same
way that a hard drive does -- automatically marking them bad and
allocating the data to a new location.

Whatever you decide on, the entry in your /etc/fstab should be 'auto'.
Use mkudffs to format the RW media. The kernel must also be aware that
your drive can RW/RAM (most are compatible). You MUST not have ide-scsi
enabled and you must be using the 2.6 kernel series. Do not install
Kernel 2.6.8 or 2.6.8.1 as cd writing has been borked. 2.6.8.2 will
correct this.

Also, it's worth mention that your "slow floppy" reference is rather
humorous: at 1x DVD write speed, 1.39 MB of data are written to the disk
every /second/ -- that's the entire size of a floppy. Maybe you were
thinking of another media called floppy?