OT: Any c++ win32 or mfc programmers here? (speech control jukebox app.)

jeffslists jeffslists at nexus99.net
Thu Aug 26 21:10:24 CDT 2004

This may be a linux list, but the best windows programmers I've seen are
the people who also know unix or unix programming.  I'm working on the
speech module part of my intelligent jukebox and it seems windows is
giving me more problems than expected.  I have a problem I'm trying to
solve which should be simple. (I haven't done any serious windows
programming for about 3 years.)

It sure would be nice if windows adhered more to standards, like giving
the programmer access to stdout at all times.  I would like to send text
to stdout or a console output so I can watch processing of my speech
commands in real-time.  I could send the output to a file, but then I
have to keep reloading in order to watch the output.

Right now I have a simple speech application which compiles as a
dialog-based application.  I have no idea how to send output to the
console from a dialog-based app.  For now I've resorted to sending
output to an edit box.  (Sending output to the edit box was much more
complicated than I expected.  I spent two hours trying to figure out
just how to automatically scroll the damn thing.)

I would rather send trace output to the console/stdout than use an edit
box.  I could create a new project in MS VC 6.0 as a console based
application, which would give me easy access to the console, but I do
not know windows programming well enough to restructure the speech app   .

Here is a link to the app. I am working with:
*SAPI 5.0 Tutorial I: An Introduction to SAPI*
<http://www.generation5.org/content/2001/sr00.asp>

Is there anyone here who can give me hand?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff