harddrive failing? how to test it?

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Tue Aug 24 20:57:16 CDT 2004

Certainly, but a fan could help prevent further failures or at least slow
down the death of the HD. Although it is possible that cooling the HD
is all that is needed, I would certainly never trust it, unless the smart
tools indicate that the sectors are miraculously good again. And having a fan
might make the process of pulling the data off a bit more possible. Pulling
everything off a decent sized HD that is failing/overheating is bound to
get the HD very hot indeed if the disk is anywhere near full. I didn't intend
to suggest that life is good simply by cooling a failing HD.