Strange network problem

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Tue Aug 24 13:10:46 CDT 2004

Well it turns out it was an intermittent short in one of the
wires on the cable on the NIC side. Cutting and recrimping
a new connector is all that was needed. Although, yesterday the
box shut itself down and I couldn't get it to come back up until
I unplugged it for 30 sec. We'll see if it happens again. Some
possible causes here might be:
1) overtweaking the BIOS settings,
2) the shutdown if cpu core gets too high.
I had the problem with my other ABit MB when the shutdown if
core temp gets too high. I don't think that functions works
properly. I had it disabled on the old one, because it didn't
actually shutdown on temperature. It would shutdown if the cpu
fan indicated it was not running, regardless of how cool the CPU
was. So I suspect same thing may be happening here. Anyone else
think that the current MB makers are overdesigning MBs?

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions!

Brian