Strange network problem

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Mon Aug 23 13:11:26 CDT 2004

Hello Luggites,

I replaced the MB and CPU on my desktop over the weekend and I have several
issues now with the PC. One the MB has built-in sound, video and networking.
I installed my old video card, because it was too much of a pain to
try and figure out modelines to get 1024x768 resolution working.
Alsa couldn't set up the card properly even after removing and reinstalling
Alsa. So I modprobed to find the sound modules needed and added them to the
/etc/modules file and now sound works. Did the same thing for the network
card, but even though it comes up and has link and autonegotiates I have
no connection to my LAN. The hub shows the card as up with link in 100MB full
duplex. The card seems to working by observing the lights. Ifconfig shows the card
as up, working and assigned the proper IP. The only thing that happens if I
try pinging the gateway is I see the TX count go up. So I installed my old
nic and I get the same thing. I've also tried running knoppix from cd and still
the same problem. I haven't changed the cable yet or tried my laptop
on that connection yet, so there is the possibility something is wrong with
the cable. Anyone have any other ideas? The PC was working fine before I
disconnected it and did the upgrade.

Thanks,
Brian

"The President is merely the most important among a large number of
public servants. He should be supported or opposed exactly to the degree
which is warranted by his good conduct or bad conduct, his efficiency or
inefficiency in rendering loyal, able, and disinterested service to the
Nation as a whole. Therefore it is absolutely necessary that there should
be full liberty to tell the truth about his acts, and this means that it
is exactly necessary to blame him when he does wrong as to praise him
when he does right. Any other attitude in an American citizen is both
base and servile. To announce that there must be no criticism of the
President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is
not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the
American public. Nothing but the truth should be spoken about him or any
one else. But it is even more important to tell the truth, pleasant or
unpleasant, about him than about any one else."

--Theodore Roosevelt, Kansas City Star, May 7, 1918