Survival Time for Unpatched Systems Cut by Half

Phoenician Phoenician at phoenixcolony.com
Fri Aug 20 19:02:43 CDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-kclug at kclug.org [mailto:owner-kclug at kclug.org] On Behalf Of
Brian Kelsay
Sent: Friday, August 20, 2004 11:45 AM
To: kclug at kclug.org
Subject: Re: Survival Time for Unpatched Systems Cut by Half

Brian Kelsay

>>> djgoku <djgoku at gmail.com> 08/20/04 09:19AM >>>
>> Are you suggesting that the GPL, BSD, Mozilla, Artistic, and other
>> open source licenses be altered in some way that requires this?  Most

>> of them don't make any distinction between "home" and "business" use.

>If there is no distinction then it can be used for commercial or home,
>as long as the license is respect for the program.  correct?

>--
>dj_goku

Correct.
He was just postulating that software for the home should be free no
matter what.  It is very difficult, however to make this distinction.  I
do occasional consulting work at home.  Many people start up businesses
from their home.  So do they pay for the licenses as soon as they start
a business?  Or do they get to keep their software as is?  <snip>

That is exactly what I was talking about. The aspect of "when to pay for
it" is a grey area, especially when you are a consultant and I am sure
that there would have to be some accommodations made for that purpose,
but I was primarily thinking of larger companies that actually have
their own office space with decent sized cube farm.   In this day and
age, where computers are so ingrained into our lives, I think it's
ludicrous that people still have to go without fundamental things that
they need. I understand that to many, the concept of 'fundamental needs'
will vary greatly but on a whole, as a society, we need to decide what
exactly constitutes fundamental rights and needs. Then and only then
will humanity be able to advance enough to co-operate and hopefully stop
thinking in a 'me' centric fashion. - Michienne