Survival Time for Unpatched Systems Cut by Half

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Tue Aug 17 16:40:35 CDT 2004

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/08/17/1347214&tid=172

"Turns out, this number dropped from about 40 minutes last year, to 20 minutes this year. ....
Either way, 20 minutes is not long enough to download patches."

Again, this is why you need a firewall.  It took probably over an hour to load all current patches
on a Windows 2000 box I loaded over the weekend.  6-10 reboots later, no infection or attack
reached this PC because it was snuggly tucked behind my Linux firewall.  Thank you IPCop.

Brian Kelsay