Backup

Kendrick-LUG kulua at linux2themax.com
Mon Aug 16 07:13:17 CDT 2004

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

>On Sunday 15 August 2004 08:12 pm, Brian Kelsay wrote:
>

>>And jhutchins, you can't hot-swap IDE as far as I know.  You risk
>>a total system failure and are likely to burn up a motherboard or a
>>drive.  Only SCSI does hot-swap.
>>

>Not true.  Hot-swap capability DOES have to be built into the interface, and
>you'll fry a non-HS SCSI system just as bad as an IDE drive if it's not meant
>for it, as most on-motherboard SCSI systems are not.
>
>One of the things you need is something that makes a very clean connection of
>all the pins at reasonably close to the same time.
>
>It may be a little tougher to hot-swap IDE drives due to their initialization
>sequence, but I have seen systems that had that capability.
>
>SCSI just isn't the big mystical super hardware everybody keeps trying to sell
>it for.  Sure it'll do great things - at very high prices, things other
>hardware standards can match at similar price points.
>
>More over-priced, over-hyped high-end stuff tends to be SCSI, but that's got a
>lot more to do with marketing than any imagined superior technology.
>
>(Which reminds me of SysAdmin magazine giving a great review to a rack-mount
>keyboard and flat panel display - that cost over $4,000.  Some peopel are
>stupid about money.)

when its not yours your spending who cares...   is often a attitude  see
us government for best examples.     2 swapping the device is not the
problem its initialing the critter.  ie bios must know about it or it no
workie..   also  scsi  is super mystical hardware.. how ever i do think
they ride their name sake a lil too much which i hope changes soon
before they go the way of novell and crapples.   almost antiques but
still have their uses.   (no flames plz not busting ether's chops just
stating main stream opinion)

i did a little searching  and found
1) no one wants to sell desktop drives @ 10k rpm those are enterprise
things.
2) werderndigital  sata 72g enterprise 10k drive that can do 4.5 ms
access is 200 80g 7.2k retale is 88.    btw seagate 73g 10k scsi drive
is 120 so go figure
3) most drives available != scsi are retale and reasonable priced  if it
has good access times they want  near scsi prices or worse