Knoppix

Jonathan dj_goku at boobie.no-ip.com
Fri Aug 13 19:57:47 CDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 15:40, Jonathan wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 15:18, Brian Kelsay wrote:
> > So you could have your server pull from the major Debian round-robin mirror list.  Unless this
is not kosher.  You might also be able to create a repository that had the major stuff and leaves
out some obscure stuff.  Don't know if you want to do this though.  You could probably get enough
disks donated for the project to add up to over 100 GB.  Use SCSI and multiple disks or an ATA
controller with multiple ATA100 or 133 disks and your Server OS on a separate chain.

> > In your second paragraph, did you mean that the tiny bootable ISO that is created,
> > will have a firsttime script that grabs the user selected packages from the net and not from
"the user's machine"?

> > How about if the web interface you build, grabs the files from the mirrors and builds on the
user's machine?  You would have to have mkisofs in Java or other format to be able to run that on
their machine if they don't have it.  Unless Jigdo will do it.
> > I'm just throwing out ideas.  I kind of like the alternative idea of the web app building a
small ISO that has a package list/install script built by the web app,  that when the ISO is ran on
the target PC will grab the files from the net.  It would then give you your auto install on
multiple machines.  Building the ISO would not take long and would allow the user time to think
about the questions that the standard Debian installer gives you.  It would be more flexible,
allowing you to save your ISO creation session and come back to finish after some research.  You
also wouldn't have to host a repository.  Look at one of the online floppy firewall builder sites.
I can't remember the link now, but I know there were two that let you build the disk img
dynamically from the net.

> > Brian Kelsay

I know BBIagent does that is kinda cool, BBIagent.com iirc.

dj_goku