Knoppix

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Thu Aug 12 17:25:01 CDT 2004

I've got a few ideas on this. I was thinking, of building a page where
users select several types of things. Like:
+----- Desktop ---------------------+
| [] I want a lightweight desktop   |
| [] I want a fullblown desktop     |
| [] I want no desktop              |
+-----------------------------------+
 etc.

Then I could have a couple of premade iso directories and also some
"package groups" of certain apps. Then when the user has selected
all of the families they want I could add to the basic iso with the custom
apps. I'm not sure you can actually add to an iso or not. But then
you could have a small group of premade iso's and rather quickly build
complete isos. Of course, you would also want to have an "expert let me
pick everything" option. Which of course you'd want to build a drop down
list based on standard categories (net,core,multimedia,X,etc.)

> Brian, which version did you try to install to disk?  I used
> 3.4 - 5/17/2004 and it worked fine. I have had to tweak the
> /etc/apt/sources.list to make it point to US mirrors and drop
> some of the weird apt-pinnings.  It has one of the most
It was 3.1 or 3.2 I think, but I'm fairly sure I did something wrong.
I currently have Mepis Linux installed on my systems at home. Except for
the firewall, which is a hardened linux. Mepis is like Knoppix-lite.
It installs some some things I don't like though, and have been stripping
them out slowly, but unfortunately it's leaving dangling particles everywhere.
It also highly customized some of the debian packages.

I speak a little German,

Ein, Zwei, Drei, Bier!