Knoppix

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Thu Aug 12 14:45:01 CDT 2004

Knoppix has pretty much everything.  That is both it's strength and it's weakness.  It's a bit slow
to boot (try booting to a different window manager for just troubleshooting), and there are
probably tools on there you will never use.  If you want a quick download of a new version, you are
in for a wait unless you grab a bit torrent.   There are some good security, desktop and rescue
remasters that are a bit slimmed down and I like to use DamnSmall for quick boot and maximum
useablity in a small space.  I still use Knoppix to compile for DamnSmall and it is on my laptop.
I could probably stand to "apt-get remove" some apps I don't need.  Knoppix is the Swiss army knife.

Brian Kelsay

>>> "Michael Pratt" <mtpratt at nbmap.com> 08/12/04 11:43AM >>>
What is everyones view on knoppix for those who have used it? From what I have seen I think its the
best thing that has come out so far. I will most defiately have a copy of it with me when I go to
the businesses I support.

Is there anything in particular that this product has that no others do?

Mike