Was I almost hacked?

Oren Beck oren_beck at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 12 04:16:42 CDT 2004

Greg Kedrovsky wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 03:24:10PM -0500, jcrowe at cmuonline.net wrote:
>
>>Nope, it's a worm.
>>
>>http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?date=2004-07-28
>

> Ah. Thank you.

MY patience for malware writers is *** G O N E ***  !
And so It becomes a viable question to now ask something of our technoid
social ethics .
It may be rhetorical to state but I would love to see anyone actually
justify the authoring of malware that is _intended_ prima facie to cause
havoc -let alone possible deaths .

While sympathetic that irresponsible and insane threats of violence are
a  quite readily understandable consequence aroused by damages that
malicious code cause I propose a  more ethical but draconian punishment .

IF we hesitate at actively harming those who write malicious code what
then of the theological concept termed
  " Shunning "  Which stripped of the spiritual  connotations is
Literally a Social  Rite of Excommunication  !
The absolute and potentially irrevocable declaration of Anathema for
crimes against the net .
Simply put taking the precedent of denial known as UDP on Usenet to the
Meatspace level .
Not only social ostrascim but employment denial too . And basically
every peaceable and legal defensible method of
reward for potentially  unforgivable crimes .

Are we going to say " good work on crashing 300K users with that cute
worm you wrote - here's a raise " ?

Every terrorist -and not being melodramatic but seriously reconsidering
the stakes of malware it has become thinkable to label the writers of
such malicious code thusly - they all thrive on media and FUD . Deny
them both and they starve .
Circle our metaphorical wagons, beef up our security in sane real ways
and upon tracing the authors of ANY obviously intentionally malicious
code we declare them an UNPERSON .

  They speak and none shall hear . They walk in front of us and we see
them not. None shall give them aid nor comfort. Neither shall any openly
quibble at the rightness of the Bans . If guilt be so provably upon one
that none dare contest it save by bearing false witness then so shall
stand the Ban . Again - there is already case law precedent that"
keyboard  crimes" have been held accountable for causing human deaths !
  So the above explains my more ethical suggestion for handling
malicious coders . They are _Dead_ to us . No more
LUG/GeekGroup/Tavern/Bowling alley/etc gatherings .
They will be welcomed nowhere . Their literal name shall be obliterated
 None shall dare admit they even knew them .

No fame . No talk shows.   No T-shirts proclaiming the injustice of "why
is this a crime ? "

Simple concept - Write Malware- intentionally cause damages with it and
your "life" is OVER . Full Stop . Game Over.

OR is any among us present to declare that writing malicious code with
evil intent aforethought is acceptable ?

Oren Beck