Redhat 8/9 or FreeBSD 5.2.1 on ASUS PC-DL Deluxe, anyone?

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Mon Aug 9 21:17:02 CDT 2004

Brian Densmore wrote:

> [...]

I haven't tried your exact setup, but I had an 'interesting' time trying
to get a Debian testing system up and running with 4x SATA drives and an
IDE DVD Burner, learning a lot about SATA in the process.

The promise SATA controller is well supported in current kernels (2.4
and 2.6), but the software RAID provided by the inexpensive low-end SATA
(and IDE) chips is still experimental.  If you want RAID, I suggest
using linux-based software RAID instead of trying to use the BIOS
software RAID, unless there's a really good reason not to (like you're
trying to dual-boot into windows or something).

Details on the latest SATA and BIOS-RAID support can usually be culled
from the linux-ide or linux-kernel mailing list (look for "Linux Serial
ATA (SATA) status report):

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-ide&m=108932910720997&w=2

If you really want to use the BIOS RAID, check out dmraid (Device Mapper
Raid):
http://people.redhat.com/~heinzm/sw/dmraid/readme

...which claims:
"This is Alpha software and it can destroy your data!"

:-)

NOTE:  Not that you've run into this, but I wound up having to run the
2.6 kernel to get the PATA DVD writer running with DMA support (I
couldn't get the IDE-SCSI support running under 2.4 while running with
SATA drives so the DVD burner was running with programmed I/O...could be
a goof on my part or a fundamental problem with this combination).

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net