Redhat 8/9 or FreeBSD 5.2.1 on ASUS PC-DL Deluxe, anyone?

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Mon Aug 9 14:13:39 CDT 2004

Can you do that with SATA drives? Run them as ATA?

I tend to agree here. Use a process of elimination to find where the problem is.
Running out and buying more hardware isn't the solution. I'd try
running in ATA mode if you can. I'd also turn off RAID. Start with a plain
brown wrapper config and then turn on one feature at a time until the problem
reoccurs. What I would do is the following:

 1) install a known working ATA HD,
 2) remove any unnecessary cards,
 3) load the BIOS defaults, turn off RAID and SATA,
 4) test to see if RH loads,
 5) replace known working drive with one of the new drives,
 6) retest,
 7) add second drive and retest,
 8) (if any cards removed add back in one at a time and retest),
 9) turn on SATA and retest,
10) turn on RAID and retest,
11) tune BIOS for performance and retest.

This should tell you where the problem is with some degree of certainty.

HTH,
Brian