need good deal on a laptop for speech-control development

jeff jeffslists at nexus99.net
Fri Aug 6 03:00:33 CDT 2004

Does anyone know where to get a good deal on a laptop?  I need these
specs or better: used or new,  2 GHz, 512MB ram, 20GB hd, and a price
under $1000.  I'm using this laptop for development of my
speech-controlled digital jukebox and its music management software
suite.  I don't need this laptop to run linux, though I will be
eventually porting this software to linux.  I'll buy a new laptop when I
port to linux.

So far I have checked Newegg.com, Pricewatch, and ebay.  This is the
best deal I found on newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=34-115-125&depa=1
<http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=34-115-125&depa=1>
Acer Notebook Aspire 1355LC Athlon XP-M 2600+, 15.0" TFT, 512MB, 40GB,
DVD/CD-RW, WinXP Pro

Mail me here or off list if you know of a better deal.
Thanks,
Jeff