US Army Linux Supercomputer

Gerald Combs gerald at zing.org
Fri Aug 6 02:05:03 CDT 2004

Joel Spolsky has a good explanation for why software is either really
cheap or really expensive.  From
http://discuss.fogcreek.com/newyork/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=1389 :

"(4) With software sold in corporations, as soon as your price gets up
 in the $3000 level, the amount of approval it needs is so absurd that
 you are not going to sell products without a salesperson making a few
 visits. Hiring the salesperson, sending them out to make presentations,
 hotels, airfare -- now it costs $50,000 to get the sale done just in
 sales closing costs. That's why you see a lot of software products at
 $100,000 and a lot under $3000, but anywhere in-between and it's
 impossible to make sales. (It's sort of funny -- these big corporations
 create so much bureaucracy around purchasing in order to protect
 themselves against losing money, but they just force the vendors to
 spend a fortune on salesforces, which results in vastly higher prices
 for the big corporations)."