US Army Linux Supercomputer

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Wed Aug 4 12:55:18 CDT 2004

Yeah, yeah (you didn't notice the smiley face - me poking fun at M$).
The clustering you are speaking of is limited to 64 or 128 nodes, IIRC.
Windows can't handle the kind of massive clusters we're talking about
here. That's why they made such a big deal of the fact they are looking
to enter that market to compete with Linux. Something where they'll
probably throw in the software for free and the hardware for half price. Anything
to do harm to the Linux phenomenon. If this sounds "tin-hattish" so be it. We've
all seen the way M$ approaches competition. I have yet to see the "kinder, gentler"
M$ folks are talking about.

And, even if M$ can do this kind of clustering, it can't compete performance wise
with Linux. I don't see any Windows clusters in the top 500, not to mention the top 10.
(to be fair, M$ used to have one in the 500, IIRC. It was a Unisys mainframe running Windows).

Brian