BIND9 on multiple subnets

jeremy at linuxwebguy.com jeremy at linuxwebguy.com
Tue Aug 3 02:37:03 CDT 2004

> What most of us do is use some sort of dynamic DNS resolver, or the
> services of our Registrar, to point the whole domain (*.domain.grp) at our
> firewall and let the firewall sort out which ports to forward where.  This
> makes it appear to the outside world that your firwall is your
> webserver/mailserver/desktop/torrentserver, and your internal network
> sorts things out on it's own.

Hmm.. I was hoping to save myself the $25/year/domain cost of dynamic DNS,
but I might need to keep it.  I've had a good experience so far.  I only
have one host, so 2 DNS servers would really not be necessary from my
point of view.  I mean, if you can't reach the DNS server to resolve, you
can't get to the host, since they're on the same machine!

I think what I'm going to do is us dynamic DNS for the external Internet,
and keep BIND how it is internally.  When hosts are inside, they pickup
the right hostnames, and then when they leave, they dynamic DNS picks up
the rest.

Jeremy