Your NTP configuration is wrong

Gerald Combs gerald at zing.org
Mon Aug 2 02:36:55 CDT 2004

This is a good strategy, since a nearby stratum [234] server will almost
always be better than a faraway stratum 1 server.  My "ntp.conf"s are
typically

server <nearest box "traceroute www.google.com" + "ntpdate -q" finds>
server us.pool.ntp.org
server us.pool.ntp.org

The first "server" entry usually ends up being the first upstream router
on the provider's side of whatever connection I'm on.  So far it's
worked well.

BTW, I forgot to mention that the OpenBSD/OpenSSH folks have recently
come out with their own NTP daemon:  http://www.openntpd.org/