BIND9 on multiple subnets

jeremy at linuxwebguy.com jeremy at linuxwebguy.com
Sun Aug 1 21:28:32 CDT 2004

Hi all,

I'm working on setting up my own DNS server, but I ran into an issue that
I can't quite kick.

I've got the BIND9 server inside an internal LAN.  The box itself only has
one Ethernet port which is on the 192.168.0.0/24 subnet.  I currently have
the DNS server setup to serve internal hosts and it works beautifully.

But... my gateway to the outside world does port-forwarding to my server,
but I don't have the DNS port(s) setup to forward to it yet.  I want
requests made from the outside world to resolve to the real Internet IP,
but requests made from the local LAN to resolve to the internal IP, since
the external IPs won't quite work right.

The closest help I could find was where the DNS server was running *on* a
gateway, and to setup two instances of BIND9, one to respond on each of
the Ethernet ports.  I don't have that option.

Could I possibly do it by IP?  All requests coming from the gateway IP
resolve the external IPs, and all else resolve to the internal IPs?

Confused but not afraid to break things,

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Turner [ jeremy at linuxwebguy.com ]