Misc. Issues Suse 9.0

Robert Kennedy erwin_k_r at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 1 12:57:38 CDT 2004

Hi All,

I recently upgraded to Suse 9.0. Over all, its a vast
improvement from 7.3, but I've got a couple of issues
I'd like to air.

First, unlike 7.3, 9.0 does not seem to understand my
Netgear router. While booting I get a message "No IP
address yet" and something about waiting in the
background. If I boot connected directly to the router
it does work. I've looked around quite a bit, but
can't find a utility or config to get this working
propery. IIRC 7.3 just worked.

Also, while booting I get "No ACPID Support in
kernal." I have no idea if this is good or bad.

Finally, I added an HP C6270A scsi scanner. I had no
real problem configuring it as either a 6200, or a
6250. However after I save a scan in Kooka the program
locks up. The save is successful. I can access the
file from the GIMP, but I must logout to dump the dead
Kooka. Xsane seems to work fairly well, but does not
seem to understand 24bit color. It will only save PNG
files in 8bit?!? PBM(I thing) and one or two other
exotic formats offer 16bit color. Now unless those
figures mean X bits per color I'm really confused.

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Bob Kennedy