more Sponsorship

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Tue Apr 13 21:57:09 CDT 2004

Funny, I use Linux every day, but doubt I could pass the exam.

> certification".  However, HR people and potential customers who are
> rather less than 133t, view these certifications as a way of
> gauging how
> good you are (or something).  Plus, it's a good thing for a
> n00b to have
> on a resume.  Anyway, I don't really believe in certification
Some certifications are better than others. I know people graduating
high school that can't effectively communicate. I know people with
college degrees who don't know squat about what the diploma is
supposed to say they are competent in. I have nothing against
certifications, but they are not the be-all-end-all of knowledge.
After all, there was that mechanic back in the 60s that built a
rocket bike in his garage and broke the speed record set by a team
of engineers who spent millions designing theirs. Sadly there was a fire
in a UK museum recently and the cycle was destroyed.

Still I would like to have a Linux cert., provided I truly earned it.

Well I'd say your offer to sponsor the LUG is quite generous. Almost sounds
like a free lunch. Wonder how long it will take to abuse that relationship.

One thing the LUG could use more of is presentations (demodays) and speakers.
I'd be up for a certification test voucher. Although finding time to
study and take it will probably be decreasing exponentially in the next few
weeks/months/years as I become a new dad. ;')

Maybe I should write a self-propagating picture album...

call it W32.photoz ...

Nah.

Brian