WINE.

ismgr ismgr at atchisonkansas.net
Tue Sep 16 20:55:26 CDT 2003

On Tuesday 16 September 2003 04:37 pm, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> On Friday 12 September 2003 10:10 pm, Brian Kelsay wrote:
> > > I definitely need something cheap. Like free would be cool.  ;-)
> >
> > You never did say what programs you expect to be able to run on this
> > setup.  That may help the troubleshooting.
>
> There is some stuff on the WINE web pages regarding specific programs, but
> it's more whether someone's gotten them to work than how they did it.  I
> think there's more in the newsgroups.
>
> One of the things that helps is having a "live" Windows partition, which is
> obviously not going to happen on a YellowDog PPC installation.   You'll
> have to be careful to go through the procedures for setting up a "fake"
> Windows partition instead.

Any wisdom on how to proceed with that?

I'm going to have to build it from source and the suggestion the developers of
Wine give in building it is to use the ./tools/wineinstall script, which in
turn seems to call several other shell scripts that don't exist.

I keep getting the following:

[ismgr at atchisonkansas wine-20030911]$ ./tools/wineinstall
WINE Installer v0.74

Running configure...

./configure: line 88: conf4939.sh: No such file or directory
./configure: line 89: conf4939.sh: No such file or directory
chmod: failed to get attributes of `conf4939.sh': No such file or directory
./configure: line 201: conf4939.file: No such file or directory
./configure: line 949: config.log: No such file or directory

Configure failed, aborting install.
[ismgr at atchisonkansas wine-20030911]$

So..............................

Bummer.

Oh well. It was worth a shot.

I'll mess with the RH rpm version at home a bit more.

I just don't understand how to run programs inside it.

I have had several people tell me and I have read some of the docs, and after
finding that I can call it from the command line, went to do so via:

[chris at 4ulord chris]$ wine program_name

but that never would run anything.

I think I must have screwed something up.

I did notice that the last time I rebooted the RH system that Wine came up in
the interactive startup.

I wasn't aware that it ran as some type of "service", but then again, I don't
know much.  :-)

So if I have, say, a CD installer that I want to install a program from to run
inside the Wine environment, and the wine.cfg file designates the CD as drive
letter D:, can I type:

[chris at 4ulord chris]$ wine D:setup.exe /Program  Files

Would something like that work?

Thanks!

Chris