[OT] OLEDs!

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Fri Oct 31 18:52:46 CST 2003

   About 6 months ago I ordered a OLED evaluation kit from Eastman-Kodak
   from a story that was linked to from Slashdot. I never heard from them
   ... until 2 weeks ago. I received my OLED evaluation kit in the mail
   last night! This is total geekdom! These screens ROCK!
   I swear: It has a complete 180 degree viewing angle with absolutely no
   distortion. It's brighter than a CRT. The display itself is about as
   thick as a quarter and very lightweight. It's 2.2" diagonal with
   512x218 pixels. It accepts SVideo, RCA, VGA and DVI for input. It
   produces 16 Million colors and has response time that's faster than a
   CRT (by my estimation).
   The one bad side is that my display has 2 dead green pixels, 4 dead
   blue pixels and 5 dead red pixels. I suppose that there wasn't allot
   of QC done on the display since it's free. The displays are created by
   injecting bioluminencent protiens in to cells sandwhiched between a
   cathode and transparent anode.
   The really cool thing is that they're are so thin, bright and cheap --
   MUCH cheaper -- to produce in mass quantities than LCD's are.
   Production of computer displays begins next year. IIRC, that bright
   video screen billboard on 435 on the south side of down is a giant
   OLED display.
   I'll bring it to the next LUG meeting.
   (For those that want one, several of my friends already tried. They
   are charging $5,600 for them, now.)