Taking the Plunge-- Still

Sam Miller smille at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 31 05:44:39 CST 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 16:08, jmneedham at kc.rr.com wrote:
> Hi guys:
>
> Thought Gentoo would be cool,but I am obviously not seasoned enough to know what I am doing with
it.  Got the X server up and still dinking... made a decision to try and download the FTP install
for SuSE 8.2 because it is still not Redhat or Mandrake (no offense please to those of you who like
those distros, just not had good luck with them myself)... Debian would be a good idea too, is
there a P4 optimised version of it out there and it is easy to install?  Is SuSE easy to install?
I want to avoid building my own kernel for the time being because I frankly don't know what i am
doing obviously... thanks for any and all help.

> Your advice is welcome!

I'm biased naturally, but I would suggest looking into the Canadian
distribution of Debian - Libranet. Every review is positive. The
installer, while not 100% graphical, is still much easier than Debians.
And Libranet is based on Sarge or testing, so you're not too far behind
the bleeding edge.

About the only negative thing I can think of is that a broadband
connection might be needed for the frequent updates through apt-get.

As someone said, it just works. (Or has at least for me.)

Sam Miller