Massive Coronal Mass Ejection to hit the earth today

DCT Jared jsmith at datacaptech.com
Thu Oct 30 17:18:38 CST 2003

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:49:50 -0600, Mick Ohrberg wrote:
>Seems like this was about as over-hyped as y2k :)

Actually, it wasn't. If the solar burst had been oriented
magnetically south instead of north, Earth would have
been hit pretty hard. As it was, our north-pointing magnetosphere
simply let it pass right over. It was 50/50 either way. In 1859, a
similar CME hit Earth and started fires, shutting down
telegraph lines. We were fortunate, not misinformed.

We did get auroras as far south as Texas, though.