Data Recovery/Forensics

Peter Amisano pamisano at kc.rr.com
Thu Oct 30 14:02:50 CST 2003

I need some the security expertise out there.

I am currently working in a computer forensics position, however, our
process only uses windows and windows products for the acquisition and
analysis of data.  I am wanting to port the entire process over to Linux,
for learning purposes and experience.  I need to know if there is anyone out
there who has real world experience in this area.  I would like to know more
about the linux tools and tricks of the trade.

I have done a bit of research on the DD command and Linux bootable forensic
CD's like FIRE and PenguinSleuth.

A few questions to start with:

When imaging a piece of media using DD, will the subject device be written
to in any way?  Are there other methods of imaging a device other than DD?

Thanks for your help,

Pete