taking the plunge -- version 1.1

Christopher A. Bier chris.bier at cymor.com
Wed Oct 29 16:35:37 CST 2003

Hi Mike,

On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 14:17, jmneedham at kc.rr.com wrote:
> Hi Chris:
> Yeah, I would love help setting it up and wondered if there was a way to set it up during the
installation of Gentoo so it can get the latest drivers over the lan, but first things first:
Where do I download those drivers?I believe my card is the same card you have.
> WMP11 Version 4 is my Linksys Model Number.
Version 4 uses a different chipset than the other versions, and is not
supported by linux-wlan.  People on the linux-wlan list have said that
they were able to contact Linksys and get a version 3.  Here is a link
to drivers for the Realtek RTL8180L, which, I believe, the Ver 4 is
supposed to be.
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloads1-3.aspx?software=True&compamodel=RTL8180L#2002121Unix
(Linux)

> I am assuming (though I have never done it) that I will need to recompilethe kernel to include
the driver?
Most likely.

> I have a little bit of a chicken and egg senario going on as I have a "LIVECD" of Gentoo 1.4 for
P4 which is my machine and I suppose I can use the "canned" tar for installation and update later
(you Gentoo folks feel free to answer this!)  for the Portage part of the install... but would
prefer the latest builds.  so getting the wireless up is like the first priority.
The portage on your gentoo CD should be fine.

> Thanks for responding about my Elite Duo, I was wondering not about them working so much as is
there an iTouch like program for Linux to run the programmable keys is my real question with it.
xev shows that they are valid keycodes, so it should be possible to map
them to a command.
<snip />

Chris