Taking the plunge

Bill Cavalieri bcavalieri at gekl.net
Mon Oct 27 18:32:34 CST 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 11:34, J. Mike Needham wrote:
> Greetings group:

> Here is the complications:
>
> It has a DVD +RW

supported, check your use flags when installing gentoo

>  and I am running an HP Deskjet 3820 USB printer,

Use the cups HPIJS 1.3 or newer driver, add ppds, usb in use line

I have an ATI 9800 Radeon Pro All-in-Wonder (TV tuner, USB
> remote control, video capture) video card.

Gentoo has the ati and the gatos drivers in portage, as well as a ebuild
for tv out.  Not sure on the remote, would be suprised if their wasn't a
way to get it working.

> The Sims, Thief, Thief 2 (and 3 when released) .  I am also very
> fond of iTunes having come from the Macintosh side, but they have yet to
> release a Linux version, they just now released a Windows version and I
> believe I have written Apple to see if they will do a Linux version
> (shouldn't be too hard since the iTunes for OS X is actually a FreeBSD
> application with a pretty face).

The Sims won't run in linux emulators (last I tried 6 months ago),
unless you buy the linux version of sims (www.transgaming.com).  Not
sure about the other games, you might checkout transgaming's windex,
might try an eval of win4lin, or dual booting your box.

> The plan is to use GenToo for the distrobution.  I like Gnome over KDE
> and that may be important for those who may have some ideas for me.

Good choice, the only distro I run (our company runs Gentoo on servers,
and all our desktops, KDE 3.1.4).

> Oh, as an after thought, my monitor is a Veiwsonic VE155b LCD with a
> native resolution of 1024 x 768.

supported

> the sound card is built into the motherboard and I believe is a standard
> AC-97 Audio controller (common on most new computers).

supported

-Bill