Cron/Xwindows

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Fri Oct 24 19:25:31 CDT 2003

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

> As an example, and an example of the inneficiency of XWindows, I recently
> upgraded my system from a 500MHz, 312M system with a 16M video card to a
> 1200MHz, 512M and Radeon 8000.  Performance of KDE on the new hardware is
> roughly equivalent to performance of Windows95 on the old - roughly a 3x
> hardware factor.

But KDE (and Gnome) has SKINS!  And THEEEMZ!  Even if it takes up 1150 of
your 1200 MHz you've gotta have translucent, throbbing menus with drop
shadows!  Your software won't be any more _usable_, but it'll be oh so
much prettier.

BTW, have you seen Jamie Zawinski's Linux usability page?  He makes a lot
of the same points you do, but a bit more aggressively:

    http://www.jwz.org/doc/linuxvideo.html