Cron/Xwindows

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Fri Oct 24 13:46:30 CDT 2003

Oh you mean kinda like what they are doing with Linux down
in that town government in Florida! Sorry, you're wrong here.
Linux does and can function as a server environment.

> > Sorry I don't think so. First a lot of Linux systems don't
> even use the
> > desktop.
>
> Right.  As long as the Linux desktop remains an obscure, difficult,
> inefficient system with defaults for configurations that
> haven't run in
> twenty years, we can expect that to continue.
So all those governments and business switching over to Linux on
the desktop are what? A flash in the pan?

> > Actually I know this one, It's fun to run a script that
> changes a users
> > CDE (AIX UNIX) desktop background to various colors or spam
> them with 50
> > XClocks on their desktop. But that is only on days that we techs get
> > really board :D
>
> Which makes it clear that *NIX is NOT ready for the modern multi-user
> environment, or there would be access rights control to
> prevent such things.
Oh so then Windows is a better choice? Where you can remotely
take over a person's entire machine with RPC? And since you didn't
seem to absorb the whole statement, in it's entirety [redundancy added].
X can be configured to reject other people trying to open windows on
your desktop. So, the rights control *is* there. You just need to exercise
it. Which goes back to the original statement that Linux doesn't
*by default* assume that there is only one desktop. You seem to want it
both ways.