Cron/Xwindows

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri Oct 24 12:59:50 CDT 2003

On Thursday 23 October 2003 01:26 pm, Daniel Matthis wrote:

> Thats sounds more like devolve into the old Windows/Mac single user
> model. Just in case you haven't noticed even Windows is realizing a true
> multi user environment is better than a single user one (See Windows XP).

They are not targeting multiple simultaneous users though - that's still a
pretty obscure offshoot where Citrix is still the dominant player.  That's
also distictly a server environment, not a workstation environment, something
that would be selected for at install time.

> Sorry I don't think so. First a lot of Linux systems don't even use the
> desktop.

Right.  As long as the Linux desktop remains an obscure, difficult,
inneficient system with defaults for configurations that haven't run in
twenty years, we can expect that to continue.

> Actaully I know this one, It's fun to run a script that changes a users
> CDE (AIX UNIX) desktop background to various colors or spam them with 50
> XClocks on their desktop. But that is only on days that we techs get
> really board :D

Which makes it clear that *NIX is NOT ready for the modern multi-user
environment, or there would be access rights control to prevent such things.
(Of course, you're talking about people who should have root access anyway,
so maybe that's the reason.)