VIA memory - again.

Chris mohoelx at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 19 22:16:37 CDT 2003

O.k., so call me cheap.  But call me cautious as well.

Buying a new  motherboard - a VIA P4M266.  The specs just say "PC2100
DDR memory".

However, MANY websites that sell PC2100 memory seem to have two
groupings (looking at PC2100 256 Meg);
- average price $50 and higher
- inexpensive price $27 - 30 with caveat "for VIA chipset only"

Anyone have any insight as to what makes VIA chipsets so special, and if
I can use the less expensive memory?  For example (and I have no
affiliation with this site, just the first on the list at Pricewatch
today); http://buyaib.com/25pc21brinst.html

All I have been able to find is a somewhat inferred reference to memory
interleaving that VIA implemented.  Seems to me if VIA needs special
memory, it would be more expensive, not less?

Thanks -
Chris.

have some that is much less expensive