X-CD-Roast

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Thu Oct 16 21:22:53 CDT 2003

ismgr wrote:
> On Thursday 16 October 2003 02:52 pm, Rusty wrote:
>
>> If it burns CDs, why worry about replacing it?
>
> Wasn't considering it. I was just having difficulties burning CDs lately.
>
> Every one of the three that I tried yesterday to burn a copy of RH 9 failed.
>
> Got fifo errors, if memory serves.
>
> Just wondered if it might be a problem with the app or maybe it's just the
> burner. :-(

I got errors (fifo errors, IIRC) when trying to use my HP 16X burner on
a new RH8 system (Athlon 2400+, on both the built-in NForce2 IDE
controller, and a PCI Promise Ultra-IDE controller) until I backed off
the record speed.  It now happily burns at 8X, but wouldn't finish even
short CD's at 16X.  I haven't tried anything inbetween...I'm usually not
in a big enough hurry the 8X bothers me much (and it's still way faster
than my old HP 2X burner, so it seems fast enough by comparison :-).

Maybe dialing down the speed would help you too?

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net