Tar question...

david nicol whatever at davidnicol.com
Tue Oct 14 19:35:46 CDT 2003

there's the --no-same-owner option listed in the --help which causes
extracted files to be extracted as yourself, but I'm sure you know that
already.  I've often thought that a tool that mounts a tar archive like
a file system would be very useful, if it existed it would work for
this purpose.

I think the "Norton Commander" and clones (Midnight commander, etc)
can do this -- treat a tar as a file system.  Google search for
"mount a tar archive like a file system" found this comparison of
graphical file managers,

http://www.icewalkers.com/Linux/Software/System/Files/File-Managers/1900/

including Xnc which looks like it might be your tool.

--
david nicol
"In your own mind, you are the hoopiest frood. That is all that matters."