Aliases

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri Oct 10 21:28:35 CDT 2003

I try not to go to far in customising my environment, simply because it leaves
me with a more portable set of skills.  If I have everything I usually do
aliased, and I switch to a different machine, how do I remember which
commands are aliases and which are native?

This applies to Zscoundrel's comments too, if I tell someone the steps to do
something, I can be reasonably sure they'll work as specified on a Mandrake
or RedHat installation (which I will usually specify).

The friend who owns the OS-X box mentioned is of this mindset too - there was
a fantastic environment file going around the UMKC VMS a few years ago, but
when one of the less user-friendly admins started making changes to
everybody's account it went away, and we had to learn how to do things in
"real VMS" all over again.