linux PVR's

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri Oct 10 10:22:15 CDT 2003

Thanks for the info on this project.

On Friday 10 October 2003 1:36 am, Brian Kelsay wrote:

> There have been people on the Video4Linux and MythTV mailing list that
> have fought with those d**n cards for quite a while and still not gotten
> full functionality.

Yeah, I think this thing goes on ebay and I get somethng new.  Sounds like a
GeForce 4 MX.

> For the video capture card you can use any BT8x8 (bt848 or bt878)  chip
> based card.  Some of the Conexant based cards work, but you are in for
> more headaches.   The best recommended card for a PVR box under Linux is
> the Hauppage PVR-250, because of its hardware MPEG encoding and decoding
> capability.  It save you some CPU.

Ok, this means seperate capture and video cards, correct?

When we did the project that resulted in the left-over All-In-Wonder a couple
years back, they were saying 700MHz was adequate for DVD playback, but we
couldn't get consistent full-screen synchronous playback.