linux PVR's

Zscoundrel Zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Fri Oct 10 02:53:22 CDT 2003

VERY good response!!!

I really appreciate it when someone answers a question like this with
lots of extra details and advice!  I have tried many of the responses
posted here and sometimes find them to be like walking along a railroad
track at night during a full moon after a party.  Every couple of steps
I stumble because something was left out and I didn't see the space
between the ties until too late!

Brian Kelsay wrote:

> Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
>
>> I started to try to build a Linux PVR a while back, and got bogged
>> down because I couldn't get XWindows to use the TV output as the
>> default.
>>
>> (In fact, it appears that the card I had, an All-in-Wonder, has
>> trouble with TV out in Linux in general, but...)
>>
>> Anyway, I was wondering if those of you who have built Linux PVR's
>> have been able to use the TV output as the default, or if you reqire
>> a seperate VGA monitor to make the system work.
>>

> There have been people on the Video4Linux and MythTV mailing list that
> have fought with those d**n cards for quite a while and still not
> gotten full functionality.   Do a search for the GATOS drivers or
> modules.   I tried following the instructions for Gatos, but the
> instructions seemed circular in their logic.  Clear as mud.   I have a
> Radeon 7000 w/ TV out, but I was told to not waste my time wrestling
> w/ TV-out on it.  The card works fine under Linux (RH 9) and fine w/
> V4L drivers and Xawtv.    All recommendations on the MythTV list point
> to the GeForce 4 MX being the most cost effective solution.  It's
> around $40 online and provides plenty of functionality for a video
> capture and playback machine.  TV-out is fully functional in Linux.
> Just like w/ sound cards, modems and other peripherals, you can save
> yourself some headaches by checking compatibility before you buy.
>
> For the video capture card you can use any BT8x8 (bt848 or bt878)
> chip based card.  Some of the Conexant based cards work, but you are
> in for more headaches.   The best recommended card for a PVR box under
> Linux is the Hauppage PVR-250, because of its hardware MPEG encoding
> and decoding capability.  It save you some CPU.
> As for CPU, I've seen recommendations for 1.0 GHz and up.   2 GHz or
> more is best, P-III 500 is bare minimum.   I read today about some
> cheap motherboards that have a soldered on Duron 1.8 or 2 GHz
> processor (no upgrading w/out switching mobo).   256MB of RAM is
> minimum here.
>
> On-board sound can be used, but again the best is probably a Sound
> Blaster Live Value or better.   My SB Live Value setup perfectly on
> RedHat 9 install.
>
> I know you didn't ask all this, but this just saves a series of
> questions from you and others and I can put what I have learned all in
> one place for everybody.   There is an article in Linux Journal August
> about the mythTV project or go to www.mythtv.org.   There are others,
> but this one has the most functionality that I have found, including
> support for Photo Gallery, playing video game ROMS w/ MAME, skipping
> commercials, using multiple capture cards, client/server model, etc.

Those who understand binary, and those who don't