another issue mysql

Rich Edelman redelman at speedscript.com
Tue Oct 7 16:41:48 CDT 2003

On Tuesday 07 October 2003 10:46 am, Michael Pratt wrote:
> This is driving me nuts.  Mysqld is running but I am unable to connect via
> mysql. Anyideas as to why this would happen and a solution?
>
> ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/tmp/mysql.sock' (111)

The only time I've seen this message is when the mysql socket disappears for
some reason. You'll have to kill the server, as you can't shut it down nicely
with that socket not available.

I don't remember if MySQL actually responds nicely to SIGTERM or not, so you
may have to send it SIGKILL. Make sure you check all your tables when the
server comes back up, if you had to send it SIGKILL.

Rich