FATX, Help Needed

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Tue Oct 7 15:40:01 CDT 2003

Just a quick note to those willing to try to help.  I originally tried
to help Brian from one of my Linux boxen and ran into troubles and
figured some things out.   With a stock Red Hat 9 there is no FATX
support and the scripts at the mechinstaller site do not work.   I did
quite a bit of reading and discovered you could either replace some key
tools like the vfat modules and make this work.  You might also have to
have the latest 2.5 kernel or a 2.6 release candidate.   I'm not a
kernel junkie like some and I didn't have the time to give this project
more effort.  It was interesting, yet I have no way of testing the
result (no Xbox) so I gave up and gave the info I had to Brian.

I'm a little under the weather today so I may sound spacey.  Last I read
the 2.6 kernel will have builtin support for reading and writing FATX.

I'm going back to bed now.