DNSBL

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Sun Nov 30 15:46:59 CST 2003

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

> Duane Attaway, did you know your mailserver is blocking mailservers
> listed as belonging to dynamic address blocks, such as DSL & Cable
> servers?
>
> Does anybody find this effective at actually blocking spam?

Yes, I found this annoying when TWC started doing it.  It is the curse and
downfall of the internet.  But I'm lazy too, and started doing the same
thing.

About every few hours, I see this rule engaged in the sendmail logs from
some city where I couldn't possibly know anyone.  I get a spam about once
a week.  So, I'd say it works.  I like it that way.

So how do I deal with it since I run my own mail server on my
"residential" IP?  This line in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc does the trick:

define(`SMART_HOST', `ms-smtp-01.rdc-kc.rr.com')

I just looked at everyone's mail header from kc.rr.com and added a "smart
host."  When I send mail, it will try to send directly first.  If sendmail
gets denied, it will then try the slower, virus checking, sometimes not
working mail relay server.

Until people stop running spamware operating systems, I will continue to
hide for my sanity.