Need Help! Install Network card for Cable modem connection

Brent Fortman Brent.Fortman at radioshack.com
Wed Nov 26 13:57:01 CST 2003

Thanks.  I have resolved the immediate issue.  I was never able to
insert the rtl8139 driver into the running kernel without getting the "
init_module: No such device." error.

However, it loads fine at boot time after being added to
/etc/modules.conf as "alias eth0 rtl8139". I verified the new driver
works with an old NIC card that I had previously working with 8139too.

The new NIC card I am trying to install is the D-Link DFE-530TX+ REV E1
(D10038D chipset) on RedHat 9, 2.4.20-8.  I have tried both the 8139too
and rtl8139 drivers - both do not work. The system correctly identifies
the hardware (lspci -v) but fails to be able to configure eth0 (
Determining IP information... [fail] ). I have been unable to find any
other source of information that might suggest that there is yet another
driver that will make this thing tick.  I am starting to wonder if it
may simply be a bad piece of hardware.

Brent Fortman