NFS and mountable filesystems

Greg Kedrovsky greg at iglesia-del-este.com
Wed Nov 26 00:34:57 CST 2003

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 08:53:42AM -0600, Duane Attaway wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Greg Kedrovsky wrote:
>
> > Is there a special deal with NFS and mountable filesystems (like a cdrom
> > or internal zip drive)?
>
> Its actually very simple.  You just need three things:

> / 192.168.1.3(rw,no_root_squash)

I did it this way and I can mount and see the entire filesystem out on
my server. But, I still can't access filesystem I mount via ssh on the
server (mounted with same username, UID, GID, etc.) - i.e. zip drive,
cdrom. And, I can't see my own stinkin home directory either (on the
server).

What I would still like to do is be able to:
 1. mount my server:/home/greg directory (and I got this to work, no
 problem).
 2. automount on the server my zip and cdrom via the mounting of the nfs
 filesytem on my desktop. I had this one kinda working. I could mount
 the nfs on my desktop, but it wouldn't let me in because of the
 permission issue I mentioned in my last post (a reply). When I issued
 the command to mount (example) the zip drive, the unit clicked on, spun
 the disk and actually autofs mounted it (a "mount" out on the server
 showed it was mounted). But, it denied me access because of
 permissions.

How in the world do I get permissions set for the user who mounts a
filesystem via automount? I'm stumped. FWIW: I'm using Slack 9.1 on the
server.

Thanks for the help today, guys. I appreciate it.

-Greg

--
Mutt 1.4i on Red Hat 8.0 Linux
Curridabat, San Jose, Costa Rica