NFS and mountable filesystems

Greg Kedrovsky greg at iglesia-del-este.com
Tue Nov 25 21:20:48 CST 2003

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 09:04:31AM -0600, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

> > Is there a special deal with NFS and mountable filesystems (like a cdrom
> > or internal zip drive)?
>
> You don't  specify, but it sounds as if you might be mounting these
> filesystems as a user.  How about using something like supermount or
> automount?

I am trying to get a normal user to be able to mount these systems.

I've been trying to get automount to work after you suggested it. Root
can access my automounted zip drive, but normal user cannot. I cannot
for the life of me figure out how to get permissions transfered to users
via autofs.

My /etc/auto.misc:
 zip      -fstype=auto,rw    :/dev/hdb4

My /etc/auto.master:
 /auto   /etc/auto.misc

I am not currently using an rc.autofs script, so I command line this:
 # automount --timeout 5 /auto file /etc/auto.misc

I've tried just about every combination of mount options I know of in my
auto.misc file to get it to go, and I keep getting "Permission denied"
errors when a user tries to access /auto/zip. I even did a chmod -R 777
on the /auto directory. Nope.

Anyone have any advice or help?

-Greg

--