Kernel Config Time

Bill Cavalieri bcavalieri at gekl.net
Mon Nov 24 16:37:34 CST 2003

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

>So for those of you intrepid programmers out there who don't hesitate to
>plunge right into this stuff: How long does it take to run through a basic,
>first time kernel configuration script?  Since the human in this equation is
>most likely the determining slow factor, it shouldn't really matter what
>hardware you're configuring on, it should be a matter of how long does it
>take to consider those questions that need an answer, answer them, determine
>that the others can be left at the default, and get all the way through the
>script?

Not very long.  You have several options depends on your preferences.  I
compile most every option as modules, their are a couple items I compile
in (scsi controller, I'm to lazy to make a initrd with module in it).

Using make menuconfig or make xconfig, you don't have to look at a long
script

>How long does it take to configure the kernel for a new compile?

Depends on your hardware, and how many options you selected in kernel.
My p3 800 takes close to an hour, my p4 1.8 takes around 25 mins, to
compile almost every kernel option.

-Bill