Running Linux in Low Memory

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Mon Nov 24 01:26:54 CST 2003

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003, Leo J Mauler wrote:

> Well, it works great...until you exit X.  Then the screen goes blank and
> nothing happens.  Ctrl-Alt-Backspace doesn't do anything so I *think* X

Sounds like the graphics mode is not properly restored for the console.
Does the caps lock key still toggle the light on the keyboard?  Some video
cards have funny memory register mappings that can leave you hanging when
trying to set the video state.  Ctrl-Alt-F1 and Ctrl-Alt-F7 a few times
may toggle the video state into a workable condition.

The kernel has a few debugging tools available as a compile option; one
being the Magic Sys-Req key.  Press this key and another hot key, and it
will brute force open a terminal, kill processes, sync the filesystems,
reboot, or just about anything you want.  Through the magic of hardware
interrupts and memory protection, it will work even if the system is
pretty well b0rked.  If you are into launching programs of mass
destruction and need a quick way to bring the system back to life, this
kernel option may be for you.  Its the kernel's way of sending in the
tanks and bulldozing a clear work area for you to pick up the pieces.