Command line browser with graphics

Uncle Jim jim at jimani.com
Sun Nov 23 21:21:22 CST 2003

Hi,

On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 10:01:29AM -0600, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> I know I have stumbled across utilities, hooks, and libraries that imply that
> somebody, somewhere, put together a system that would display images from the
> command line without resorting to an XServer.  This implies that there is a
> browser that can use this ability, and give you images in a command line web
> environment.  Can this really be done?  Can the images be displayed in-line,
> or must they be clicked to view?

I use lynx with zgv to browse and see images without running X.  Lynx is
configured to "Show images as links" and /etc/mailcap is used to call zgv
to display gif/jpg/png/etc when the DISPLAY variable is not set (X not
running).  Images are not displayed in-line but I don't really "click" them
either (lynx uses the arrows instead of a mouse).  This is nice on a slow
connection because you don't download the images until you decide to look
at them.
--
Jim