Running Linux in Low Memory

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Sun Nov 23 12:48:36 CST 2003

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003, Leo J Mauler wrote:

> While this is covered in the "Small-Memory HOWTO", I thought I'd mention
> it anyway.
>
> You remove Virtual Consoles by bringing up /etc/inittab in a text editor.
>
> Look for a line like:
>
> c1:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty tty1 38400

This gave me an idea to shrink things even further.  How about starting
GNU's screen utility to launch terminals from init.  It would bypass the
authentication process altogether for a real minimalistic system, aka DOS.

Something like:

c1:12345:respawn:/usr/bin/screen

But it looks like someone beat me to it (google newsgroup link :)

http://tinyurl.com/w6vw

Bastards!