Configuring XFree86 4.3.0

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Sun Nov 23 08:52:39 CST 2003

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 09:35:27 -0800 (PST) Brian D <quiet_celt at yahoo.com>
writes:
> --- Leo J Mauler wrote:
> > On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 16:25:31 -0600 "Brian Densmore"
> > <DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com> writes:
> > > From what I read the CT65548
> > > can do at most 800x600x8bpp,
> > > although some clever individual got it to
> > > work at 800x592x16bpp. Although this may have
> > > changed. The 65548 is not an equivalent or even
> > > always compatible to the 65545.
> > >
> > > refresh rates for the CT65548:
> > > HorizSync   24 - 80
> > > VertRefresh 39-70
> > >
> > > The deprecated modeline
> > > # 800x600 @ 60 Hz, 37.8 kHz hsync
> > > Modeline "800x600" 40 800 840 968 1056 600 601 605 628 +hsync
+vsync
> > >                    ^
> > >                Dot Clock
> > >
> > > Notice you need to drive the dot clock up to 40 to
> > > get 600x800 resolution.
> >
> > I gave that ModeLine a try.  No dice, same problem.
>
> var/log should have a log of what X did when it
> started. If you can supply that I may be able to help
> you. You might try downgrading to X 3.3.6 (IIRC).

I'm thinking that might be the final solution here.

> That modeline should work on your chipset it was
> specifically made for that chip and came from a
> working one. I suspect X 4.3 is ignoring the modeline.
> Did you try changing the configuration file with the
> refresh rates I posted?

Yes, and I uncommented the line

Option "use_modeline"

in the "Graphics device section" as well, hoping this would force X 4.3
to read the new mode line.

> Strange that X -configure doesn't work.

How long is the screen supposed to remain blank when you run X
-configure?  I gave up and rebooted at four hours.

> Habe you tried using the generic vga driver?

Wow.  Its actually coming up 8bpp 256k colors 800x600 using generic vesa
driver.

I'll see if I can figure out what I did.  :)

> If you can't get it to come up stable with that you
> probably won't get it to work. I've done pretty
> good at tweaking modelines, but I don't know that
> 4.3 will use them.
> On the xvidtune, if you can see what you are doing try
> the down button on the vertical. I believe you are
> rolling because you are either driving the screen too
> long or the rest phases are too short. Someone correct
> me if Im wrong. I couldn't duplicate the problem on my
> screen. I can max my horizontal/vertical everywhich
> way and still get a viewable screen. Pick on IBM all
> you want, but it's nice to have a screen that just
> works.

Toshiba is still handy with its support files, but I've yet to hear a
complaint from anyone I know with an IBM laptop.

> <rant>
> Right now I'm on my new debian and still learning
> debian. Apt-get is not getting packages that I want
> and some don't seem to exist, etc. Having a great time
> learning. *not*
> </rant>

Yes, apt-get sounds like a dream come true, provided people haven't
broken links to the .deb packages.