Dialin Access to Cable Modem

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Fri Nov 21 23:01:35 CST 2003

Simmer down everybody.   Let's make some  things clear.  Opinions are like A**es, everybody has
one.   Listen to what Chuckx has to say about Roadrunner, he knows, he works there.   He said if
you just want to get email on the road (out of town), then it allows an easy, free means to that
end.  That said, TANSTAAFL.  There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.   Netzero, Juno and
Roadrunner have a LIMITED, free dialup available.   If someone wants a permanent, less limited
solution, there is some cost involved.  Like an extra phone line at your house to accept calls on
your server.  Or pay $10 per month ($120 per year up front, most likely) and get a dial up account
you can use at work.

I worked for a  small company a ways back, and the only internet they provided was a Compuserve
account that was also limited in the number of hours.  I had my own dialup account and so I just
set my PC up to use that.  If your husband, friend, self, whatever can't use any of these ideas,
then they have unreal expectations and are looking for  a free lunch.  I ran across a site a couple
of months ago that listed other free/cheap internet/email services besides Netzero and Juno.  Some
you could convert from free 10hrs/month, to pay >$10/month.   But you get little or NO support.
You must know how to set up a dialup account without handholding, and set up your own POP3 account.
  YMMV and free is sometimes worth exactly what you paid for it.  You break it and you get both
pieces.

Brian